Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spool Knit Rug


Earlier this month I came across my favorite Lily's Sugar'n Cream color way on sale, so I bought 10 skeins of it.  Since our basement had a small flood, I wanted to have a nice rug that could hold up to another flood.  This was the perfect yarn for that.  I usually use it to make dishcloths, so it is absorbent and washable.  I took out my spool knitter and used the larger of the 2 inserts, then I started knitting my rug.  I plan on machine sewing it in an oval spiral using a zig zag stitch.  I just started my 4th skein of yarn last night.  While on vacation, I went through 2 1/2 skeins.  The 2nd skein I used up in a single day.  Now when making this, the cord (knitted yarn) gets very twisted.  The easiest way to get it untwisted is to make a hank with the knitted cord, then hold it up and let it untwist itself.  You can see my hank in the picture.  I plan on using all 10 skeins before sewing it into a rug.  I highly recommend this spool knitter (link above) over other spool knitters.  I was working on this at my quilt guild last Monday, and a few of the ladies said that they planned on buying one after seeing how much easier this one is to use.



This is also a good way to use up left over skeins of yarn.  You can make a multicolored / multi-yarn rug like this.  I have also made matching hot pads with left over dishcloth skeins.  The picture above is a hot pad that I made out of 3 leftover skeins.  After washing it, it was no longer flat.  All I had to do was spray it with some water and iron it flat again.

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of a scrap rag rug. Your hotpad turned out nice and it is such a great way to use up scrap yarn for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rug looks great! And what a good way to use up those odds and ends. :)

    ReplyDelete