Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ten Thousand Villages

"In a new take on a traditional musical instrument, artisans in Burkina Faso make ingenious use of recycled aluminum cans to craft these whimsical thumb pianos. Pieces of wood, decorated with burned patterns, form the top of the instrument. Thumb pianos come in assorted patterns."



While visiting my parents, my dad took us to Ten Thousand Villages.  It is a fair trade store that has a cafe (serving food from different villages) and many wonderful items for sale.  I had not been there since high school.  My kids picked out these musical instruments that are made out of recycled cans.  They make beautiful music.  This was one of many beautiful items that were made from recycled materials.


We also got this garden place marker for my mother-in-law while there.  It is made from terra cotta by artisans in Bangladesh.  It says "grow in peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment