Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Wallet Tutorial

I was going to wait to post this wallet tutorial until I could complete the video tutorial as well.  However the video camera stopped recording during part of the making of the wallet.  I still need to make a 2nd wallet, so I will rerecord it then.  But for now, here is the photo tutorial of how I made this wallet.
Here is the first wallet that I had made for my husband.  Its about 2 years old and well loved.
I blame my husband for its destruction.  He likes chain wallets and I did not make a hole for the chain, so he did it himself.  So it was time for a replacement.
First I measured everything.  The only change that I will be making for the 2nd one is making it 10 inches wide instead of 9 inches.  Thats because the flap needs to be bigger for a bulky wallet.  Since I will be changing that measurement for the next wallet, I am also going to adjust this tutorial accordingly.
Next I made a mock up of the wallet out of paper.  This also helps when figuring out what needs to be sewn to what, and what should not be sewn down.
I chose to use corduroy fabric because it is durable and my husband likes it.  I also bought some matching bias tape and velcro.  First cut out all of your pieces: two 10" x 5", two 3" x 5", one 5" x 4.5", a 3" x 4",  a 3" x 3.5", and a 3" x 3" piece.  Next pin and sew some bias tape to one of the 3" wide sides of the right side pockets (3x4, 3x3.5, 3x3).  Also pin and sew on the bias tape to the velcro left hand pocket (5x4.5 and 5x3) along a 5" side.  Also sew the velcro onto these two parts.  The rough part to the back of the 4.5" x 5" piece, and the soft half on the front of the 3" x 5" piece.  Place the velcro just below the bias tape.  Please see the above photo.
Next stack your right side pockets on top of each other and on top of the 3" x 5" piece.  Then pin the bias tape to the left side of it.
Sew the bias tape on.  This also sews these pieces together.
Next stack the right side velcro pocket pieces (like seen above).  Pin and sew the bias tape on the two sides leaving one side unsewn (see above photo).  
Pin the stacked pocket to the right side of one of the 10" x 5" pieces (the right sides of the fabric facing up).  Then pin and sew on the bias tape to the top and bottom.  This will leave another pocket behind the stacked pockets (opening to the left of them).  Then mark a line one inch to the left of the stacked pockets.
Place the velcro pocket over that marked line, face down, with the unsewn side over that mark.  See the above picture.  Then sew a quarter of an inch seam (straight stitch or hem stitch) along that line.
Then fold it back and carefully sew the top side (top if the wallet is open with the velcro on your left side) of the velcro pocket to the back piece of fabric.  Do not sew the flap!
Sew the soft side of another piece of velcro to the right side/good side of the  10" x 5" piece (shown on the left side above).  Then sew the rough half of velcro to one side of the untouched 10" x 5" piece, on the right side of the fabric (right meaning the good side).  The picture above shows the two 10" x 5" pieces stacked (just for the picture). 
Next sew the bias tape to the two long sides of the 2nd 10" x 5" piece.
With the wrong sides of the two 10" x 5" pieces together, sew them together along 3 sides, leaving the top 10" side unsewn.  Make sure to pin the bias tape on to both 5" sides and sew them on.  Be very careful sewing the velcro pocket along the bottom.  Do not sew the flap of the pocket!  What I did was sew up to the flap, then stop, cut the thread, and sew in the opposite direction and stopping just before the flap.  I had to open and close the pocket flap depending on the direction I was sewing in.  

You will have another secret little pocket behind the velcro pocket, with the opening on the left hand side.  You will also have a dollar bill pocket along the top of the wallet.
I hope that you liked this tutorial. 
You can make one to cater your personal wants and needs.
I later added a large metal eyelet to it for my husband's chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment