Friday, February 25, 2011

Stick Weaving

I recently received the last of my Valentine's swap packages in the mail.  This one was from my actual Valentine's swap partner.  The others were from some of my online friends.  In the package were these sticks that looked like double pointed knitting needles.  However instead having two points, one side was flat with a hole in it.  I had no clue what they were, but lucky my swap partner sent instructions to go with them.  They are 6 weaving sticks.  I had never heard of weaving sticks before, which is weird since I have my degree in Textiles.  I did learn a long time ago that they (my college professors) did not teach all the different types of weaving that is out there, or the different kinds of looms that you can use.  
I picked up the yarn that she gave me and went about learning how to use these sticks today.  It is very easy.  I have woven a few inches already.  What I'm making I have no clue, but it is nice and relaxing.  I haven't put it to the test yet, but this just might be the most portable weaving project that I have ever worked on before.  It takes up about the same amount of space as my knitting and crocheting does.  
This could be a belt, an itouch cozy, a bookmark, a headband, or a change purse.  It could be joined with other strips and become a rug, a blanket, or a placemat.  Maybe it could also become a larger bag.  I'm sure that it will speak to me and let me know what it wants to be as I'm working on it.

These sticks are perfect for kids to learn how to weave with.  However the points are sharp, so you do want to make sure that the child is mature enough to use them first.

2 comments:

  1. That looks very interesting, I bet you could make a cool looking bag with it! Thanks for your nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fun I may have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete