Are you ready for some more t-shirt crafting fun?
I was lucky enough to find this Mister Rogers t-shirt for $1. How awesome is that! Lets make a tote bag out of it. Come on neighbor (if you remember the song, sing along with me).
First I folded the shirt in half. Then I cut a straight line through the layers to remove the sleeves. You can use the sleeves to make an outside pocket for your bag. Look at my Minnie Mouse purse that I made in May or June of 2009.
Then I unfolded the shirt and refolded it from side to side. Then I cut off the collar. Now you have 2 rectangles (the front and the back of the shirt).
Measure your cut t-shirt. I thought that this fabric would make a good lining for my bag. It is left over from a quilt that I made a few years ago. I cut 2 pieces of it the same size as the cut t-shirt.
Then I used a hem stitch and sewed the 2 sides and the bottom of the shirt together, right sides facing each other. This part is a little hard to explain. I laid the bottom so that it's seam was centered and flat. Then I drew a 3 inch line in from each side / corner, and stitched over that line. This enabled the bag to lay flat when filled with things. There is a picture of this further down with the lining.
I left about a 3 inch hole in the center of the bottom of the lining. This is so that I can sew it to the bag then turn it right sides out.
I forgot to take a picture of the next step. Place your t-shirt bag, right side out, inside of your lining bag, wrong side out. The 2 right sides should be facing each other. Then sew the two together at the top. Then using that 3 inch gap that you left in the bottom of the lining, pull the fabric out and turn it right sides out. It should look like the above picture. Then sew that hole closed.
I then cut 2 strips of fabric the width and length that I wanted for the handles. Make sure you add seam allowance to it. Then I sewed it like the hem on a pair of jeans so that I would not have to bother with turning a tube inside out, and there would not be a raw edge showing.
Then I pinned the handles in place and sewed around the whole top edge of the bag. I wanted a little bit of the lining showing at the top.