Sunday, January 24, 2010

Kool Aid Dyeing & The Tarn Rug

I finished my tarn (t-shirt yarn) rug last night! I still want to wash it and block it. When measured down the center it is 31.5" x 41". The perfect size for my laundry room. No more cold feet :)

Last Sunday, today, and for the next few Sunday's I am helping my friend Frances teach Sunday school kids how to Kool Aid dye wool. Today we had the 1st and 2nd graders. Here is the undyed wool.

The kids put on old shirts and had fun dyeing the wool with squirt bottles. No squirting though. They had to really dig into the yarn with the nozzle to make sure they got through all of the layers.

Here is the finished product.

There is about 400 yards of wool here.

The 1st 3 weeks of wool will be auctioned to raise money for the church.

The 2nd 3 weeks of wool will be made into prayer shawls.

The kids had a great time dyeing the yarn.
I also read "The Mitten Tree" to them afterwards.
It went along with the theme of making something for someone else.

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! What a great bunch of kids and wonderful teachers to help them dye yarn like this!

    ReplyDelete