Saturday, September 19, 2009

Punk Zebra


I did it. I made the Punk Zebra sock creature from "Stray Sock Sewing: Making One-of-a-Kind Creatures from Socks" by Daniel. I put my own twist on the design. I have a small sock stash. For a while whenever I would see some interesting socks for one dollar, I would buy them. I made a few sock monkeys last year, and thus was always on the look out for more sock creature material. In February I must have bought these pink striped socks. Well.... Like i said in another post, there was a hole in one of my Halloween skull socks. I made the zebra out of the pink socks. Then I cut the skull sock above the heal and made it the zebra's t-shirt. Also instead of making a mohawk, I used eyelash yarn and gave her long multicolored hair. The nostrils are buttons off of one of my grandpa's shirts. He died when I was young. So now there is a sentimental touch to the zebra. The eye buttons came from my tiny button stash. One is a vampire bat. I bought some cute Halloween buttons on sale last year with no project in mind for them. I like that the eyes are different. The bat one makes her look like she might be winking. I think she looks a little punk. I could punk her up a bit more. Maybe give her a cool belt. But for now, she is perfect.

My oldest son said that she looks like a Fraggle. I love that!!! My youngest son just loves carrying her around and tossing her in the air. I was so tempted to go out and buy the buttons. I'm glad that I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment