Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Fat Afghan

For my mom's birthday I made her this 61" x 51" afghan.  For most of it I held 4 strands of yarn together at the same time, and once I used 5 strands of yarn at once.  Two strands were bulky weight yarn, and the others were worsted and DK weight.  I used a green Lion Brand's Homespun yarn throughout the afghan, and most of the other bulky weight yarn was also Homespun.  I did use some Wool-Ease Thick and Quick a few times instead.  It was knitted on size 19 needles (cast on 80 stitches - the border is garter stitch and the rest is stockinette).  All in all about 3, 383 yards of yarn was used to make it, 23 skeins, 19 of which were completely used up.  Only a few of the skeins had never been used before, and all except for 1 of the skeins were from my stash.  This was an awesome stash-busting project.  It was thick and soft, and my mom loved it.  My dad and their dog also loved it.  Surprisingly enough it only took me a week to make.  I worked on it every chance I got.  My husband wants me to make one for our oldest son next.

No comments:

Post a Comment