Monday, July 29, 2013

"Man" Hats for Charity

Two of the groups I'm in in ravelry have charity challenges right now.  One ends on the 31st and the other ends on September 6th (although I didn't realize that until after I finished my first hat).  Both charities that I wanted to craft for were asking for hats, especially hats for men.  So I went through my stash and found some bulky yarn that would be perfect for hat making.  Next was to find a hat pattern that would work for bulky yarn and for men.  This is the hat pattern that I used to make these hat.
This hat will be going to Warmth for Warriors.  Here is an explanation of the charity on their website:
We are knitting and crocheting homemade hats to comfort our soldiers, both active duty and retired.  We distribute hats all year long to active duty soldiers overseas, to medical units where the sick and wounded are prepared to leave for hospitals in Germany and to VA hospitals back home in the United States.  A warm wool hat, made with love, provides both physical comfort and a "Hug of Thanks".   
They suggest using 100% wool yarn in dark colors, so I used Lion Brand's wool-ease thick & quick black yarn and size 8 needles to make this hat.

This hat is for a cancer hat drive in Maine.  They are excepting all sizes of hats in in many different colors for men, women, and children.  However the person who is holding the drive said that they are in need of more men's hats.  This hat would work for both a man and a woman, and it is very soft.  I used Loops & Threads' charisma yarn and size 10 needles.  I started using the size 8 needles that I used in the fist hat, but it was way to small.  I was afraid while making this hat that it was going to only fit a child, but it stretches and fits my head just fine.  Its is really comfortable to.  I also modified the pattern slightly by only knitting 6 inches instead of 7 inches before the decreases.

No comments:

Post a Comment