Friday, February 1, 2013

Ikat Dyeing Hanks with Kool Aid

Last night I taught an ikat dyeing class.  Before teaching any class, I like to review the whole thing at home that week.  That means making the item that I will be teaching.  This allows the information to be fresh in my mind, and allows me to better answer any questions or problems that might arise during the class.  So I dyed 3 hanks of Lion Brand's Fisherman's Wool with Kool Aid using ikat dyeing techniques.  The above photo is of my 3 hanks drying after a 2nd dye bath.
Here are my 3 examples for the class using the 2 resist techniques that I use when ikat dyeing.  
We dyed 4 hanks each for the class, and had a lot of fun.  The top left and the middle picture are of my student's dyed hanks.  The other pictures are of the 4 that I dyed.
Here is my newly dyed yarn in nice little yarn cakes.  I'm looking forward to making something out of them.  I just need to figure out what it is that I want to make.

I will be teaching this class again in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment