Thursday, January 22, 2009

Star Quilt (from calendar), knitting, and organizing






Since my last post I have finished one of the block patterns and have started making the last of the block patterns for the Stars Quilt (from my quilt a day calendar). The orange and white block is called "Variable Star Block." Again you need to make 3 of these blocks for this quilt. For one block cut one 4 1/2" square of orange, two squares each in orange and white at 4 7/8" (then cut into 2 triangles each), and 2 squares each in orange and white at 5 1/4" (then cut into 4 triangles each). The last block in the series in a "Courthouse Steps" block. You need to make 15 of this block for the quilt. I changed some of the colors from the picture. Instead of pastels I am using white fabric. In place of the middle red square, I am using the orange for the variable star block. All the colors in the previous blocks are used in this block. For one block I cut one orange square at 2 1/2", 2 white at 1 3/4" x 2 1/2", 2 green and 2 white at 1 3/4" x 5", 2 purple and 2 white at 1 3/4" x 7 1/2", 2 red and 2 white at 1 3/4" x 10", and 2 blue at 1 3/4" x 12 1/2". I have up to the purple and white blocks sewn on.

I have taken a break from the corkscrew scarf for a little bit. I have picked up my cotton ease yarn and have begun making some dish clothes. I used the cluster rib stitch in one, the moss stitch zigzag in another, and a garter stitch in the one that is on my needles right now. I just wanted to pay attention to the tv for the one that is on the needles right now.

My knitting and crochet needles totally got disorganized over the winter break. I had made a large bag to hold all of my needles in 2 years ago. I'll post a picture of it. I think its time to make a smaller travel version, but not just yet. As I was trying to organize them I came across my needles / yarn gage. I took out 4 index cards and traced the circles from the gage onto all 4 cards, along with the number or letter that went with the circle. I then labled the cards as follows: knitting needles, circular needles, double pointed needles, and crochet hookes. Then as I put my needles and hooks away, I maked which ones I had on the index cards (by filling in the circles). I also added how many double pointed needles I had for each size, and the length of my circular needles. Then I punched a hole through the corner of the cards and put them on a metal ring. I'll keep that in my purse, andwill now know what I have and what I don't when I'm at the store. I'm not going to be stocking up on everything, but when you see a pattern or yarn that you like, you would like to know if you have the right tools for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment