Monday, January 10, 2011

December's Pinwheel Block

In November I joined my local quilt shop's "stash party pinwheel" block of the month.  Every month for a year (November 2010 - October 2011) the quilt shop will give out a pinwheel pattern.  There are rules for getting the pattern, but I'm not going to get into that right now.  When I got December's pattern, I wasn't to happy.  I have never made a good flying geese block before.  So I put off making the black until last night.  I can't believe it, this is the best flying geese block that I have ever made.  All the triangle points are there and not cut off.  Now I need to make 4 more.  One is for the quilt pattern that the quilt shop will hand out in November, and the other 4 are for another quilt that I am making.  Tomorrow I am going to bring it into the quilt shop and get the January block.
Anytime that I make quilt blocks where I need to cut off triangles, I sew those triangles into half square triangles.  This block was made using all of the half square triangle scraps from the flying geese pinwheel block.  I love it.  Because of this block, I really want to make more of the other block.

Here is my blog post for November's pinwheel block.  It includes the 2 box exchange blocks that I made that month for my quilt guild.  I'm keeping with a color theme for the pinwheel blocks: green, black, white, and some grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment