Monday, March 29, 2010

Fun with plastic


Movies make great crafting time.  Last night I added the stripes to my plarn bag.  Today I watched another movie while I bound off most of the bag, and I started knitting the handles.  Last night the bag seemed to say, "I don't want to be a tote bag.  I want to be a purse."  When finished knitting it, I plan on lining it with fabric.  One thing that I love about this bag is the subtle zebra-like striping of the different colors of yellow in it.  


Someone in the trash to treasure group on ravelry made a fused bag that she had woven with fused stripes.  I loved the way that it looked, and I really wanted to try and make one myself.  After our basement flood I bought some plastic laundry bags from the Dollar Tree.  Well they tore after one use.  So I fused them tonight to create a green and a yellow fabric.  Then I cut them into 2 inch stripes and wove them together.  Tomorrow I plan on fusing the woven sheet together and making a bag out of it.

2 comments:

  1. The yellow plarn bag is looking fantastic and I love the stripes you added. I really like that fused woven plastic too. It reminds me of a seatbelt bag I saw that was woven like that. I just might have to try that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy. I just finished fusing the woven piece. I'm taking a break before sewing it.

    ReplyDelete