Sunday, May 26, 2013
I started making a log cabin afghan in March, but quickly realized that I did not want an afghan with that yarn. It was not something that I wanted to curl up under. So this month I decided that it would become a bag. I made another log cabin square but with the other color as the center, so that the two sides were the same but different. Then I picked up stitches on 3 sides of both squares and knitted for a while, then I joined them together using the kitchener stitch. I then picked up 8 stitches on one side and knitted the strap, also using the kitchener stitch to join it to the other side of the bag. I had some patriotic fabric in my stash, so I sewed a zippered lining out of it with a zippered pocket inside. Next I hand sewed the lining inside of the bag. It is a large bag to: 19” wide x 18” high x 2” deep.I made this Star Wars Imperial Square earlier this week. I was hoping to donate to a charity, but it is to big for the charity I had in mind. I might add to it and make an afghan for a family member.
I crochet these 5 granny squares for A Hug for Boston, which is giving afghans to victims of the Boston marathon bombing.
Here are two more pouches that I made using the 1909 machine knitting loom at work.
Here are the 6 sides of a blessing block that I made as an example for kids at church. I also put the "Truth" side, the chalice, and the milestone marker on 3 others for the kids.
Thursday, May 16, 2013
I designed my very first hexiflat / hexipuff this week. It also happens to be my very first color work (not including stripes). For one of the ravelry challenge groups that I'm in, I designed a 3 water drop hexiflat that was inspired by the book that I just finished, "The Overtaking." The water drops represent a scene in the book. The 2nd photo is the back of the water drops. It took me 3 tries before I figured out a way to carry the 2 colors around successfully, or at least to my liking.
This one is just slightly larger than the others, but I think that I can still make it work with the others. I used leftover yarn from a doll afghan that I made earlier this month.
Inspired by two other challenges in the Harry Potter Knit and Crochet House Cup on Ravelry, I made these two fish hexiflats. I used a yarn that was actually called ocean for the background. Then I crochet the fish appliques. I would to make a lot more of these for the afghan that these will become.
I didn't have any yellow for this goldfish, but many goldfish are orange and white. I really like him.
It is a Star Wars themed month in my Disney adventures group, so I made a Chewbacca inspired hexiflat using eyelash yarn. I sewed a white ribbon across it to represent Chewbacca's sash.
Friday, May 10, 2013
The hexipuff bug might have bitten me. If you haven't heard about the beekeeper's quilt, it is a major thing on ravelry. Many people are making hexipuffs and hexiflats (puffs are stuffed and flats are not). I made 8 last month, and joined 7 of them together to create a flower. I'll slowly add to it and see how big I can make it.
I also started a new log cabin afghan, this time with Caron Simply Soft yarn (all the project in this blog post use this yarn). I am liking it a lot better. The yarn feels really nice, and its in colors that I love.
Saturday, May 4, 2013
This week I made this doll afghan using the same pattern and same type of yarn that I used to make my afghan from last year.
Today I made this Star Wars doll quilt and 5 matching pillows in honor of Star Wars day. "May the 4th be with you." I used the leftover fabric from the goody bags that I made last month. The back side is the leftover dancing skeleton fabric from the goody bags.
This flower brooch is for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day. I used this pattern to make it.
I bought this Moxie Teen wig for my Monster High dolls. It fits, but it doesn't like to stay on.
The Moxie Teen accessories are great got my Barbie and Monster High dolls. The glasses and shoes fir the MH folls, and the belt and other accessories fir the Fashionista doll.
I also got a Novi Star doll. After getting this Novi Star, I got the same character but from the beach series. The beach series ones have movable legs.
I taught 2 weaving classes to a total of 14 kids in April using cardboard looms. Here is what I did with my sample weaving: I made a doll rug. The chair is also new. I bought 4 of them from Michaels at 60% off. They are cell phone holders.